The Top 5 Tips For Safely Handling Cleaning Chemicals
When used properly, cleaning chemicals are relatively safe. Unfortunately, accidents do happen and there are several precautions and things to keep in mind in terms of proper handling of cleaning solutions. This is a reason why the U.S. Department of Labor continues to list “cleaning and custodial work” as one of the most dangerous jobs in the country, and this is mainly due to the several accidents involving chemicals that occur each year. Maintaining a clean and hygienic workplace is incredibly important, and safety is at the top of the priorities list.
The Best Tips For Maintaining Safety When Using Chemicals
1. Know the product you’re working with very well. When dealing with chemicals, it’s important to know and sometimes double-check you are working with the right ones. Make sure you see the color, characteristics, and safety directions of the products you use.
2. Wear gloves and other proper equipment. Try to avoid any splashes. Remember to wear all required personal protective equipment as indicated on the SDS sheets. Gloves should be worn at all times when using chemicals, and other cleaning equipment processes.
3. Maintain hand hygiene by regularly washing them. It’s important to wash your hands regularly, especially after using chemicals (even if gloves were being worn before). Good hygiene practices and regular use of hand soap and hand sanitizer are also recommended.
4. Get rid of old chemicals. “Cleaning chemical safety programs should also include getting rid of chemicals that have not been used for a prolonged period of time,” says Jennifer Meek, Director of Marketing and Customer Relations for EnviroSolutions.
“A good rule of thumb is to consider disposing of any chemical product that has not been used for 6 months, and disposing of any product that has not been used for a year.”
5. Use chemicals that are properly labeled. It’s important to always report any damaged or illegible labels to your supervisor. Not only should you ensure that the bottle has the correct product in it, but that it is also correctly labeled. Replace any labels, which are damaged or illegible.
Other Important Things to Keep In Mind
Another important aspect to keep in mind is the reliability of the cleaning equipment you are using with the cleaning chemicals. You need to make sure to use professional-grade equipment. If you don’t already, it’s a great idea to invest. Companies such as Lavo Solutions can provide professional and reliable equipment that makes the cleaning and disinfection process easy, effective, but also incredibly safe.